I knew when I entered the teaching program at my university that I wanted to one day get my masters degree. It's no secret that a masters degree can easily bump you 10,000 a year in pay. I love college. I love the pursuit of knowledge and the thrill of learning something new. It is the reason I get A's and B's; I don't have anyone to disappoint but myself.

So when I realized that I have the opportunity to get my masters at NYU on scholarship and fellowship means, I was extremely excited. But here's the problem. How do I live in New York? While it's possible to teach in New York Public Schools and get my masters at the same time, this limits me financially. I would barely make enough for rent, food, and utilities. I would have virtually no money for much more.

It got me thinking. Teaching is one of the lowest paying professions out there that is of value to society. How sad is that?

One of the first things that I was told entering the teaching program was, "I hope you're not in this for the money."

We're told that our job is valuable.

We're told that our job is extremely rewarding.

We're told that no matter how bad it gets, it is always going to be worth it.

We're told we're doing something amazing.

Yet so many teachers leave the profession. So many realize that they can get a less stressful job AND be payed more.

How messed up is that?


0 comments

Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog