The one thing I can't stand to hear people say to me is: I want to do this thing so badly, but...

Afterwards there is a litany of excuses that pour from their lips into a wall they can't get around. I want to clarify the different types of avoidance maneuvers to prevent myself from insulting anyone.

I see these not just in a classroom, but in adults. And it's the adults that get under my skin the most.

Tactic numero uno: I can't afford it.

What? What?! Nonononono. You don't want to afford it. Saving money, working more, and finding alternative sources of money to fund your dream is one of the best things you can do for yourself. For example. I had a friend who wanted to be a doctor. A surgeon. They had the brains and the drive, but they said they couldn't afford medical school. Excuse you. The Navy pays for all schooling, especially medical school, gives you a monthly stipend, and will only require your active services for two years in which you will do your residency at a predetermined location. No debt. Two years of your life with a guaranteed residency. I have always wanted to travel. Well fine. There are ways to do that too, hostels, volunteer services, Norwegian Airlines. There are so many ways to save up money and do what you want to do. Don't let it hold you back.

Tactic numero dos: I don't have time.

Honey. You have all the time in the world. You have 100 years to do what you want. Some you have to sacrifice, some you can revel in. But you have to chose what is more important to you. If it is staying in your same place and being financially secure then fine. But if you want to travel and take the risk, go.

Tactic numero tres: I can't leave [insert job, person, or place].


I shouldn't have to explain this one. Everyone has something tying them to a person or a place. Sometimes your situation is rough. But you again have to decide what is more important to you. If staying is what you deem more important, than stay, but don't give excuses for what you did or didn't do.

I want to clarify that I'm not this harsh with teenagers. I'm not even this harsh with those in their early 20's. Everyone has their own unique situation that prevents them from reaching what they want. I myself want to travel. I told my mother I wanted to be a professional hobo when I was 16 and now I'm going to travel Europe after graduation. When I tell my mother any of my crazy ideas she nods and gives me the same look she gave me when I was 16 and said I wanted to be a professional hobo. It is a look halfway between exasperated and amused, but never judgmental. I'm lucky like that.

Here's the thing. If I want something bad enough, I do whatever I can to make it happen. If I want to travel I know that I'll have to work two jobs over the summer to save up. I know that I have to get good grades and graduate on time. I know that I need to get my butt down to a passport office and get my passport sometime in the near future. I know that I'll need to slowly acquire the gear I'll need. I know this because I want it so badly it makes my chest ache and it invades my dreams.

For me, teaching is the same. I know that not all kids have a person in their life that will smile when they hear that their kid wants to go to college. I know that kids don't know how to make their dreams happen, even if that doesn't mean higher education. I know that many kids feel trapped and angry by their circumstances. I know what that feels like. As a teacher we have the privilege to show kids how to make it happen, whatever it is, even if it isn't something that they think is completely out of their reach.

0 comments

Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog