I started my vague obsession with writing when I was around 15; short stories and daydreams mostly. They were an entertaining way to get through class. I would constantly be imagining a scenario where ninjas would fall through the ceiling and attack the math teacher, or a portal to another universe would open wide and spill out a blood soaked warrior. Writing was never an issue for me personally because I wrote so many stories and read so many books. I was self taught in grammar, in sentence structure, and in essay writing. By the time I was sixteen I had already scrapped the traditional form of essay writing. I started to integrate my ideas and weave an essay versus write an essay. Very few teachers gave me below a B, and when I actually made an effort in an essay, I rarely received anything below an A.

I think this was the exact reason I chose to become an English teacher. The way other kids struggled was always a mystery to me because I was always so good at it. The more I looked into this, the more I realized the difference in mentality. I loved it because I was good at it. The same way people love math, or playing music, or creating art. Writing took practice and concentration. Many people dismissed it because they assumed they were too dumb to catch on. I started reading when I was in 7th grade and that was what induced the writing. I read and learned how to write. The more I wrote the better I got. The better I got the more I loved writing.

In short, practice makes perfect. We aren't naturally programmed to know how to read and write. It is a learned skill that our brain must perfect just like playing guitar or throwing a football. Muscle memory and practice.

I love writing because it comes easy now after so many years of doing it. I want to show students that they can accomplish the same, if not an appreciation for writing and reading, if they only just practice.

0 comments

Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog