Recently I had the opportunity to talk with teachers and principals from charter, alternative, and private schools, and to be honest, I'm sold.

I think one of my biggest fears as a teacher, and more importantly as a person, is to end up stuck in middle class suburbia. Now, don't get me wrong. Do middle class suburbia kids need good teachers, yes. Is that something that I would enjoy doing? Less so. I have always wanted adventure. I grew up in middle class suburbia and it's not my particular idea of adventure, especially when it comes to teaching. I want to travel to a different country and teach at an American School. I want to go to a big city and teach inner city. I want to see all different walks of life, and oddly enough, the one that I never considered was the lives of the well off.

I want to clarify that going to a private school doesn't make you rich. A lot of charter schools and private schools run off of scholarship or lottery. But, to be honest, my mom and I weren't exactly middle class when I was a kid. We got by well enough and I never went hungry, but we did happen to live in a place where we needed an exterminator once a month and neither of us EVER went out at night. It wasn't until I was reunited with my dad that things started to get better for us fiscally.

Thus, private school was always an enigma.

After talking to said teachers and principals from these different types of schools, I've been successfully enticed. I think that their curriculum is sometimes more successful because they think outside the box. Often times there is more flexibility within the classroom, or they have a proven method that prepares their 7th graders to successfully read Twelfth Night with a high capacity for comprehension (true story). I think that it's a beautiful way to run a school.

Do I have experience in these schools? Goodness no, but you know what? I'm willing to try it and see what happens.

0 comments

Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog