I've always been a fan of creative writing. I was the kid who delighted at the idea of writing anything other than an essay. I loved the way that we could spill our brains onto the paper without confines. If we wanted to splash some color outside the lines, we can. But, as I've gone through all of my schooling, I've seen some people balk at the idea of no rules. I've seen people fall into the comfort of a structured essay like they would a fraying blanket.

While this has been a mystery to me, I understand the need for structure. Sometimes it can be good thing. I know that I've had my moments where someone says write and I say, what do you want me to write. They say anything. I say what? A part of that is social conditioning, but a part of that is wiring.

Though I may not be wired that way, I have to acknowledge the people that are. As a teacher, I could terrify someone with the thought of creative writing while simultaneously bore someone to tears at the prospect of yet another essay. So what's the balance?

Recently I've been doing a project (a unit on Ender's Game) that requires reading strategies and group activities (both large and small). I want to integrate blogging, videos, and podcasts. I want to talk about war and right and wrong and politics. But what if I have students who don't like speaking? Or being on film? Or writing a creative piece from a different point of view?

The way I solved this little issue was to give alternate assignments. I know that it creates more work for me, but it also lets me utilize this project as a resource. If they don't want to write a creative piece from a different POV, those students can use the alternate project of writing an essay on the differences in character and how that shaped the story. If another person besides the main character had been the commander in charge, would the same out come have occurred? Why? What are the fundamental differences that define the characters? While this is inherently covered in a creative writing piece, an essay can accomplish the same thing through explanation.

I want all of my students to feel comfortable so they can learn the way they need to. It may be a little more work for me, but I'm not the important one here am I?

0 comments

Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog