I never pictured myself as an intimidating person. I'd always thought of myself as very approachable and fairly friendly. As a student in high school myself, I was liked fairly well, but I don't think I was ever disliked. I just kept to myself.

I never realized how intimidating I might be to people younger than me until I stepped into a classroom. Some treated me as a wall flower, some as a challenge, and some as a monster to be avoided at all cost.

I'd never pictured myself as a potential fire breathing dragon up until that point.

When I was a kid, I never saw teachers as scary. Being an only child up until the age of 13 meant that the people that I hung out with as a kid were all adults. I had no true fear of authority, so I couldn't understand why other kids were so afraid to ask for help. I became the knight that could confront the fire breathing dragon while my fellow classmates cowered in their huts.

I never thought of myself as one of these mysterious creatures. I'm not saying that all kids have a fear of authority, or even a fear of asking for help. I have just had to accept that there are some kids who only see me as a dragon, and not as a person that can help them. I am not the queen in my classroom to most of my kids. To most of my kids I am the dragon crouching atop my desk waiting for the unread traveler to be caught in my jaws of doom.

Relationships with kids are so much more than a classroom management tactic. Relationships, and paying attention to the way your are viewed as a teacher, can take you from a dragon, to a queen, and that makes all the difference.

0 comments

Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog